Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Ode to my father

On my dad's special day, commemorating when he was born, I just wanted to take a second to reflect on the person that he is. Granted, my perception is tinted by my vision of him as a father, but I also think that over the years we have grown to appreciate each other for the individuals that we are. So however biased I may be...

My father is the type of person who has:

* Been to my aid, when I have screamed, in two leaps and a bound (when he was on the other side of the house).

* Inserted my name in a song that I loved that he would play and sing me to sleep with.

* Worked hard at his job and never had the phrase "good enough" in his vocabulary.

* Loved my mother in a way that makes me not want to settle for anything less.

* Known the wisdom of the one nut.

* Worn his hair long, played electric guitar in a rock band, and owned a Harley.

* Let me see him cry.

* Always been there for me, even when I know he's exhausted.

* Made people laugh and feel at ease in stressful situations.

* Taken his dogs on long walks, even when it's really cold.

* Created the Arkabarkoo.

* Made our family run around the car on long road trips.

* Been a good, kind, and just man.

* And apparently... taken Snowzilla in a fight:


I Love You!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a good tribute. SO many children these days can only say of thier fathers,

He looks great in a dress

He didn't beat me too hard

He can mix rum and coke to perfection

The warden says he's a model prisoner

It's refreshing to hear so many great things. Congrats on having the second best dad in the world and happy birthday Gary!

XOXO

Shane

Anonymous said...

lindsay, how loving and generous. i loved reading this post. so full of fun, humour, tenderness and hope!

love from leila