Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Some time I cherish... and I wish I had a garage

Well, it’s official! Today was the first day I had to scrape the windows of my car. It happens every year—the leaves start to turn yellow, the days start to get shorter… and then pretty soon it’s getting colder and I start wishing I had a garage! At least there’s not snow… yet… I think we all need to take a moment…

On a happier note, I wanted to comment on something special: the gathering of friends. I think that I’m very fortunate in Alaska to have such an extended group of friends that have become an addition to my family. It is what I most miss when I am away, and it is what I will long for once I’m in Minneapolis. This extended group of friends and I started gathering together to watch the TV show “Lost” last year. My friend Matt has TiVo, and he started storing up episodes of the show, which we would periodically get together to watch on a Sunday. It has become something I look forward to. And while it revolves around a TV show, this is not the source of the joy we have in getting together, which was emphasized when we ran out of episodes between seasons and still ended up getting together. My friend Shane commented how it feels like a family gathering, which I agree with. It starts with Matt sending out an email ahead of time, proposing the Sunday to watch and asking for ideas for food. Inevitably, some wonderful souls volunteer to provide portions of the meal, and we end up with plenty of food. We always start watching the show too late, because we’re all chatting away, but when we do get around to watching the show, we all get caught up and scream at the TV when the show leaves us with a cliffhanger. There are usually at least 15-20 people there, and it’s wonderful. I’m sure other people have similar types of experiences, but those of you in the group I’m talking about know how much I love you—and will miss you when I’m gone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This guy Matt sounds AWESOME!!!!!

Heh...

For Lindsay and everyone else who reads this comment. I couldn't agree more! It is just like a family, and that's why I love having everyone over. While I admit that I would watch Lost anyway, I wouldn't have nearly the same amount of joy in it.

I am very glad to have the kind of friends whose company and love I am able to share.

Thanks Lindsay!

(and everyone else, of course)

Matt

Anonymous said...

How funny thats the show me and my friends gather to watch. Sawyer is HoT HOT HOT!

:)

Krista

ak_hepcat said...

I am?

Thanks!

Leif (Sawyer!)

Rik Tod Johnson said...

Thanks for reminding me just how much fun the "Lost" parties were/are. I really miss everybody since I left AK, and even though I usually went home with a headache from the noise, and even though I always had to watch my own tapes of the episodes the next day so I could catch everything I missed (due to the constant side conversations), they were a huge source of great fun in my last year there. All apologies to Sawyer, but Kate is the HOT HOT HOT one! Sorry, Leif...