Saturday, September 24, 2005

My Complex

I have discovered a complex that I have: wearing glasses. This really bothers me, because I don’t have anything against glasses. I see people wearing glasses, and I think they look great (especially those thick frames, some people just look great in those). I even like the glasses that I wear and think they look pretty good on me.

So why is it that when I put on my glasses I’m transported to being the awkward 13 year old that I used to be? I can’t help it. As soon as I put on my glasses, I start to feel 13 again. Here’s something I’m sure most everyone will understand—we go through an ugly stage, do we not? We’re growing at weird rates and we don’t really know who we are yet. This was hell for me. And it didn’t help that I was this mega- skinny, big- glasses- wearing, trying- to- get- over- the- last- horrible- perm- in- my- hair girl. If I was a braver person, I would now share a photo from that time… but I’m not—do you see how big a complex this is?

Anyway, like everyone else, I began to come out of that ugly, awful state at some point…and it seems like it was, coincidentally, around the same time that I got contacts. So you see, I equated glasses with ugly, awkward girl. How unfair is that? And what’s strange is that it’s not primarily about how I look, it’s a feeling inside… it’s so strange…

The reason all of this has come up is because I’m getting ready to get LASIK surgery on my eyes in late November. I have to wear my glasses between now and then so that my eyes adjust to their normal shape. So far I’ve been wearing my glasses for a little over two weeks.

I am happy to say that a lot of the time I don’t even notice. I mean, they are a pain in the normal ways that glasses are (getting finger prints on them, fogging up when entering buildings), but most of the time I’m perfectly fine. In fact, my eyes are not blood-shot, like they normally were with contacts. Every once in a while, that awkward, ugly girl sneaks in. But I’m starting to face this part of me. I see more and more kids that I can equate to how I was at that time, and I can look objectively at them and see how wonderful they are… maybe just a little awkward, but is that so bad? So, all in all, I’m seeing these two months with glasses as therapy. I’m hoping that by the end I will have embraced that awkward girl in me and seen the beauty that she had.

Can anyone else relate?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about this "awkward girl in you" thing ... you look pretty in glasses, actually :) Besides, you are getting LASIK surgery! HOW COOL IS THAT!!!! My opinion ... forget about any "mega- skinny, big- glasses- wearing, trying- to- get- over- the- last- horrible- perm- in- my- hair girl" moments you might have and focus on the "never having to wear contacts or glasses again" part :)
ps; thanks for the email! my reply's on its way :)
-sahar-

Krisia said...

I feel exactly the same way about wearing glasses! I had to start wearing them when I was 12, just about to start secondary school, just in time to be pinned as a nerd. Being short and skinny and having very little self-confidence didn't help. Now, when I put on glasses, I am that person again and I always wished she would just go away. In fact the only pictures I have of that whole period between glasses at 12 and contacts at 17 are my school yearbook pictures. It doesn't help that hundreds of other people have those pictures and that's how they remember me.... Kepp us posted on the lasik! I want it too.... as soon as I can afford it.

Shingo said...

I only started to wear glasses on and off during my Universities years. I didn't like them, so I only wore then when they are necessary, like cinemas.. Now I have different frame and wear them all the time. Not sure why I changed... I think has something to do with need as I don't have contacts.. but I quite like my pairs as it was gift from my mother in law.

Anonymous said...

I remember wanting to be just like you when I was young :) So you were not dorky in my eyes. tehe

Krista

ak_hepcat said...

I started wearing glasses at age seven, and never really gained comfort with them, since I was always teased about it. Why is it that children are so mercilous?

When I turned 16, I got contacts and went through a radical change in my appearance, which was a big turning point for me. I had always equated the glasses (and the fact that I had terribly thick lenses) with being not just imperfect, but also degrading.

I've since overcome that stigma, and don't have as much of a problem wearing glasses anymore -- possibly because I've settled on the smallest form available, so as to minimize the look of the coke-bottle-lenses that I'm forced to wear.

I'm also completely jealous of you being able to get LASIK. My eyes are too far gone, and the epithelial layer far too thin, for me to get any sort of corrective surgery. At least until I have to get a lens replacement in 15 years, due to the kerataconus.

So, I guess I've not only come to accept the glasses, but am able to see the person behind them. I've seen you both ways, and you'll always be the same beautiful Lindsay to me.

Anonymous said...

Well, your 50 year old uncle just purchased his first pair of reading glasses last week. Guess I was lucky to have lasted this long before needing them. I hear they now do LASIK to “cure” the need for reading glasses….something to consider someday. In the meantime, I’m wearing glasses again….at least some of the time. Does not bother me…I’m going for that wise old grandfatherly look!