Thursday, April 13, 2006

The situation of the Baha'is in Iran

A couple weeks back I sent a letter to the members of Congress representing the area I live. The reason I did this is because the Baha'is in Iran have recently been under more systematic oppression, and I felt that I should write something to my representatives for them to be aware of what is going on. Some of you may already have known, but I thought I would share my letter, just as another way for people to be aware of the current situation.

Thanks,
Lindsay

********************************
Dear *****,

It has come to my attention, as most likely it has come to yours, that the Baha'i community in Iran, who for years has faced persecution from their government, is now under more severe attack than in recent years.

I am a member of the Baha'i Faith. Freedom of religious belief here in the United States is often something that I take for granted. The fact that I can live in a society that allows the same rights to me as to my fellow Americans of other religions and creeds is a wonderful and special right. Unfortunately, this is not the same in all parts of the world.

As you may be aware, the UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, Asma Jahangir, recently made public a confidential letter of the Iranian government, in which it was made clear that the Baha'i community in Iran is facing systematic persecution. There are roughly 300,000 Baha'is in Iran, making them the largest religious minority in the country. The government is collecting information about each and every individual member of the Baha'i community and has begun monitoring their activities. In Ms. Jahangir's opinion, the collection of this information could be "used as a basis for the increased persecution of, and discrimination against, members of the Baha'i Faith."

I am asking that you become aware of this horrible plight. Religious persecution cannot be taken lightly. I am asking that you speak out publicly and strongly against the activities taking place in Iran against the Baha'is and to take whatever action you deem possible as a member of Congress to protest against the Iranian government's treatment of the Baha'is in their country. I believe that Congress as a whole should call upon the Iranian government to abide by international law and protect members of their largest religious minority.

I thank you for your time and strongly urge you to take action. Too many of our leaders have missed their chances to champion the persecuted. Please do not do the same.

With respect,

Lindsay Lamar

For more information, please visit http://www.bahai.org

5 comments:

Moogan said...

That's a very nice, well worded letter, linds. I hope that they pay attention to it!

Anonymous said...

You did great Lindsay! God Bless You!
-sahar-

Anonymous said...

Not many of us (i often included) are not willing to speak out against atrocities that are going on. Applause to Lindsay!!!

-Kristin

Anonymous said...

You are so brave;please, continue inspiring us.

Anonymous said...

You really have an amazing spirit. I wish the world had similar eyes to yours.

Sibeso.