Saturday, April 01, 2006

It's all a learning process

Hey everyone! Well, I had my audition with the Guthrie today. Can I just say how awesome it was that I got to audition for them? Here I am, this girl from Alaska, and I got to audition with the Guthrie, the most well known theater from this area. That's cool.

That being said, I didn't do so well :) At this point my weakest skill is doing monologues. I just haven't had to do them on a regular basis in Alaska, and now that I'm trying to enter the professional field, a monologue or two are always the first step for getting your foot in the door. So it's not the best thing that my first step doesn't really show how I can run with something :) But it is all a learning process, and I must say that I am enjoying the monologues that I have found. I am improving, and eventually I will hopefully have an audition where I shine.

The reality is that I'm going to have to audition a lot, and so it feels good to at least be doing what I came down here to do. I can't say I would cast me on what I showed the Guthrie at my audition, but I can always hold out hope that somewhere along the line someone will take a risk on me... and then I can prove that I won't disapoint them :)

I am exhausted at the moment. My cough came back with a vengeance the past two nights, and so I didn't really sleep for about 2 days. But last night, thank goodness, I was able to get a good night's sleep before the audition. And now, on my lazy Saturday, I'm going to take a nap!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This all reminds me of the story of a beautiful princess who was full of potential. Never heard it? Here it is.

Once there was a beautiful princess who was full of potential. And one spring day, when the sun was shining and the crocus was in bloom she thoght to herself, "This is a lovely day for a walk." And so she took one, out in the garden , through the gate and into the city beyond.

As she walked a crowd soon began to follow and stare at her. "They are entranced by my beauty and potential" she thought, and indeed they were! The longer she walked the more the crowd grew until finally a kindly old crone stopped her to mention, "Dear, you forgot to get dressed this morning and you're totally nekkid!" Looking down, the beautiful princess who was full of potential realized that this was true! She was, indeed, totally nekkid.

Mortified, she ran from the crowd, who all howled with laughter to see a beautiful princess who was full of potential run nekkid. Trying to find the closest shelter she ran into a store and collapsed sobbing on a table. Unfortunately she had run into a tattoo shop where the owners, mistaking her intension, began to cover her entire body with a Tattoo of a fish.

Realizing, too late, what was happening she dashed out half tattooed and was at once mistaken for a mermaid. A fight broke out between a local museam, a zoo, and a fishstick francise over who had seen her first.

Luckily. as the three various interests fought, conservationists from Greenpeace saw her and "restored" her to the water. Where she was eaten by a whale who much prefered who to toast with jelly fish.

Which all just goes to show...um...I don't know...how crummy some days can be?

Sorry, this was pointless.

Love you.

Shane

PS Whales don't eat jellyfish.

PPS They also don't eat toast.

Schmerin said...

Sigh. So sorry it didn't go as well as you would have liked but hey, you never know what people are looking for! I've cast people who tanked auditions because I still saw something in them that I liked and I've not cast people who had power auditions because it was the wrong time/wrong place. At the very least they've seen you, and maybe now and maybe later that will pay off in dividends!

Sound like you're keeping that chin up and you're still smiling :)
That's my Lindsay!

Love ya babe!

-Schmerin

Rik Tod Johnson said...

You should do Sam Jackson's big Ezekiel monologue from the end of Pulp Fiction; then you will scare the Guthrie into hiring you!

P.S. Baleen whales filter feed on young jellyfish in their polyp stage. So, technically, they can eat jellyfish... but they still don't like, or rather, can't eat, toast!

Love ya, Lindz!

Rik

Anonymous said...

I know that you are bummed with the audition that you feel you tanked, but i am just so happy and proud with the fact that you are down there auditioning, doing what you set out to do!!
You are exactly correct, as with everything in life, this is a learning process and you must keep chipping away at it until you find what works for you and how to use that to its full potential.
As is common for you Linds, you are staying positive and keeping your chin up which i feel, in the long run, will turn out to be your best asset.
Keep up the good work and keep fighting!!!
love, Kristin

Anonymous said...

Hey Linds,

Sorry, your audition didn't go as well as you would have liked.

I am sure you probably did better than you think, because you are your toughest critic.

You are a strong and determined young women, and I know you will do even better on the next audition.

Loving Support,

John G.

~Frooghi's~ said...

lindaylamarjoon, can i just say you have the coolest friends in the world? look at all this encouragement!!!! wow! :) u lucky girl, you!