Wednesday, November 09, 2005

What do you think?

Okay, so here is the debate that is going on in my head:

I’m trying to figure out the best strategy for moving to Minneapolis, and the amount of options seems endless! I’ve decided it’s best for me to have a car while in Minnesota, and I actually own my car here. My car, however, is about 12 years old and does not have all-wheel drive. I’m meeting up with my aunt in Montana to get some of her stuff out of storage there, so all of my plans have that as the destination point, with driving together from Montana to Minnesota. But here are the options—and I’m sure there are even more:

1. Sell my car and fly to Montana: While this does seem easier in some ways, I would then be purchasing a car in MN, which may be just fine, or it may not. It has that unknown factor. Another downside is some of the pluses of option 2.

2. Ship my car to Seattle and drive to Montana: I have found that it’s actually a little bit cheaper to ship my car to Seattle and drive from there, rather than driving straight from Anchorage. The plus to this is that I spend a couple days with my friend Tana, who I’m dying to see, and some other friends that are in the area, then I drive the day trip to Montana and meet up with my aunt. Another plus to this is that I don’t have to worry about purchasing a car. The downside is that my car is old, without all-wheel drive, driving in January, which may be just fine, but I don’t know…

3. Look into getting a used car with all-wheel drive, and proceeding with option 2. This allows me to get rid of the unknown of purchasing a car in MN, and allows me all the pluses of option 2. The downside, of course, is spending more money, which inevitably seems like it will happen.

I’m leaning towards looking at my options for cars here, and seeing what I can afford. Any input from anyone else would be greatly appreciated!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl! Well, I have driven the long and tedious drive from Anchorage to Idaho and let me tell you it is no picnic. Yes, it is a lovely drive with a TON of scenery, but when you’re trying to get somewhere it seems to drag on excessively. My suggestion is sell your car, and buy a new one here. Cars are quite a bit cheaper down here on the “mainland”. Perhaps fly to Seattle and look around for a good used car (of course you have to proceed with the family tradition of getting a Subaru). There are a ton of used car lots up North, and I am sure Tana would be more then happy to help you look around. That’s my suggestion anyways.

PS: Stop in Moscow on your way over to Montana hehe.

Anonymous said...

Lindsay,
I would say that if you have made it in Alaska with a twelve year old car with no 4 wheel drive and are still around to tell about it then the old girls has lots of pep in her yet. Really how much could you expect to get for a twelve year old car anyways.
I agree with Krista that driving in any scenario is a real downer especially all by yourself and does tend to cause our mothers a great deal of angst.
I agree with Krista also that buying a car closer the the 49th parallel is a better idea than buying one in Alaska.
Rose

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay

I think buying a newer car with 4 wheel drive is the way to go-the last thing you want to deal with is car problems. I would look at buying your car in Seattle-better deals and options. Second, surely there must be someone to make the trip with you-don't go alone in the winter. Collin-don't you need a little vacation? Take care Carrie

Anonymous said...

One thing to consider is that Alaska has no sales tax (or at least it didn't when I last lived there). That often offsets any price differences (but it makes more of a difference with expensive cars). I'd go for one of the options that lets you see your friend Tana.

Love ya!
~Heather G.

Anonymous said...

Seattle option with you buying car in US. That way we get to see you here. and make sure to let us know the dates. are you talking about Tana R?
In terms cheapest option of car buying, it seems some states wont let you get away with buying cars from a state with less or 0 tax. WA is one of them which means if I get a car elsewhere when I take it in WA I have to pay tax or the tax differnce. Nevertheless you are better off buying the car in the states considering the high taxes in Canadia.

peace in the middle east.

Anonymous said...

Who needs a car?

You can always walk!

Think of the exercise you would get walking from here to Minnesota!

Always here with a helpful suggestion.

Matt