Wednesday, November 30, 2005

I once was blind...

Well, I can officially see! The surgery went well. Quite truthfully, a lot of it is a blur (no pun intended!). I was given some pills for sedation… and they did a smashing job! I was awake, but I was rather woozy throughout the whole thing. The rest of the day is one big blur as well… I held a phone conversation with my friend Megan some time in the early afternoon, and I called her back in the evening, unsure if I had actually talked to her :) I guess our earlier phone conversation ended with me going, “yeah, I’m not actually following what you’re saying…” and her telling me to get some sleep :) It makes me laugh to think about it.

But how was LASIK eye surgery? Well, from what I do remember, I was very impressed with the whole facility. All of the people working there were really great (you could tell they were used to putting people at ease). There were a lot of us there for surgery that day, and since it’s such a quick procedure, they stacked us in… but it never felt like a cattle call or anything, just a well-oiled machine. At some point while I was waiting for my special pills to take their effect, Dr. Ford, the surgeon, came out and shook hands with each of the people in my group going through the surgery and asked if we had any questions. Nobody was asking any, so I couldn’t help myself. When he got to me, I asked him if he had gotten a good night’s sleep :) Thank goodness, he had!

When I finally stumbled into the surgery room, it all went very quick… this is where my memory starts going fuzzy. I remember lying down in the chair, and then I remember Dr. Ford saying that he liked to start each surgery with a little prayer, and asking would I mind this. I remember being very grateful for him starting with a prayer… it just put me at ease. Then the procedure started. I won’t go into the details of what is done in the surgery, but there was another person in the room who simply stood there and told me what was going on, each step of the way. The whole procedure is so quick—I wasn’t in there for more than 10 minutes. I walked out of the room, they sat me down and put some drops in, and then walked me out to my mother in the waiting room—and that was it!

Of course, the rest of the day I was falling in and out of consciousness… my mom was there to wake me up and hand me drops to put in every half hour or so, and I guess I attempted to talk to some people on the phone (including the funny conversation with Megan), but otherwise I just tried to lay low and heal. The amazing thing is that I could see already when we were leaving the doctor’s office. My vision has fluctuated some, and I’m seeing halos around lights, but I’m told that this should go away after the incisions on my eyes stop being so swollen (sorry, I hope that wasn’t too descript for someone). My eyes are currently a little scratchy, and I’m still taking it easy, but I’m feeling pretty good! What a relief!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOOHOO!
Now you will be able to 'see' me when I am in town next month.Glad it went well!!
Krista

Anonymous said...

Yay Lindsay-Lamar-Joon!!!
I'm so happy it went well for you! What a miracle hun? Ten minutes to fix vision! Wow ... I'm jealous ... :) :)
I'm also kinda sad you didn't write out all the juicy details about the surgery ... :) Did you freak out hearing each step of the way what was happening to you? "and now dr ford is slicing up your eye" ...**freaky** hehehe :) just kidding :)
anyways my friend, here's to you and your newly found sight!

Sofia said...

That's so great! Yay for being able to see clearly! Now... how many fingers am I holding up?? hehe!

Anonymous said...

I am glad everything went well for you. All of us at BP were wondering how you were doing. Now I will be able to go in and tell them =)

I remember when my brother went in for the surgury. The assistant asked to take off his glasses and said "you won't be needing these anymore." it was kind of a surreal thing to say. Well, hope you recover quickly and good luck

Mark

Anonymous said...

Just as a follow up... a little birdie told me a rumor yesterday that a certain little soprano now has 20/20 vision!!!

Woohoo! =)

-Andy

tahmina, amir & azamat said...

wow!
very impressive!
i am thinking about getting new pair of glasses, may be i just should get a surgery done, what do you think?
love,
tahmina