Friday, May 19, 2006

Getting active!

Well, today was "ride your bike to work" day, but I don't actually own a bike. But my friend Melissa happens to have an extra one :) So she invited me to ride to work with her this morning! She was able to convince me to wake up extra early on a Friday by promising to make me a smoothie... it was delicious!

So I kind of defeated the point of not driving today by driving to her house. But I did it in the right spirit! We had a great time going to work. It's only about 3 miles, which actually goes pretty fast when you're on a bike. And it was pretty much all downhill... which means the ride home is going to be really fun :) But it's nice to do something active, and Melissa is infectious with her bike riding. She is going to be riding in the MS150 in the beginning of June, where she'll bike 150 miles in two days (yikes!). If there's anyone out there that wants to help sponsor her to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis research, you can click here. Melissa also just started a blog where she'll highlight a lot of her activites, and I'm sure she'll put an entry about her MS150 ride... she's one active lady, and I'm grateful when she's willing to slow down enough to drag me along :)

In downtown Saint Paul (where I'm currently working) there was an event in a nearby park where there were various booths for people that ride bikes and such. I even got to practice putting a bike on the public bus rack, something that I've never done before. It would certainly make me feel comfortable doing it in the future. And there were free items and breakfast, so it was a lot of fun.

Of course, maybe I'll have to adjust this entry once I've tried riding uphill back to Melissa's home :) I'll post a picture of the two of us later as well... once I'm home and can get the picture off the camera!

Added after: Well, I obviously made it home! But MAN was that ride more difficult on the way home :) There was only once when I had to get off my bike and walk, but this was towards the end, after I had made it up the biggest hill... so I was okay with that. It was nice getting out and active, especially after sitting at a desk all day. Thanks again Melissa!

2 comments:

Moogan said...

you can do it, Lindsay!!!! =)

love you!

Paul Ancheta said...

You need to post a picture of you riding uphill, Lindsay Rebecca. While you wear those layers of clothing, I would like to remove the upper part of mine--it is searing here in India!

:: Paul A.