Thursday, December 22, 2005

Memories jogged by packing

With the holiday season being upon us, I had to ensure that I met some deadlines before shipping my car to Seattle. In order to ship my car, I have to have it weighed when it is empty, and then weigh it again once I've added all the stuff I want to ship with it (because, of course, I have to pay to ship that stuff!).

So my strategy was to put stuff in the car that is more on the fragile side, since it won't be tossed around (unless my car is tossed around, but let's hope it's not). Well, in doing this, I pulled a piece of artwork off the wall to pack up for the car, and it jogged a memory and life lesson that I found profound (but may just seem like cheeze whiz to you guys--but I share anyway!).

When I was 14 years old, I went down to Oregon for a summer Baha'i youth project. I ended up being on a team of youth that was in Ashland, Oregon, where we did lots of service projects, helped out in the Baha'i community, and also did some teaching about the Baha'i Faith. There was one Baha'i in the community that often helped out with our team, and he was an incredible artist.

Close to the end of our time in Ashland, I remember that we were having a meeting at a house, and my artist friend came in a little late. When he came in, he quietly gave one of my friends a BEAUTIFUL beaded necklace in her favorite color that he had made and then proceeded to sit down. I remember witnessing him giving this necklace to my friend and feeling sooooo jealous. This friend who got the necklace was so beautiful and talented, and I was often in awe of her. But I remember sitting in that meeting and just having horrible thoughts. I was 14, so you can imagine I was even more petty than I am now :) She had been given a farewell gift, and I had not, even though I had really loved being with this artist friend.

After the meeting was over, my artist friend went out into the hallway and brought out a framed piece of art he had made. He walked up to me, and said "I remember your favorite color is blue" and handed me this beautiful, breathtaking piece of art. At that very moment I was so ashamed for how I was feeling, and I was so humbled by his generosity. The necklace he had made for my friend was beautiful, but he had given me a framed painting that was breathtaking.

I have loved this artwork ever since. I don't know if my artist friend knows what a lesson he gave me. We should never be jealous of what other people have, or their station or success. We should always rejoice in anyone's accomplishments and be happy for them in their own right. We never know what is waiting around the corner for us, and you never want to have that feeling of guilt when you do have something wonderful happen to you and you have not appreciated it in others.

I've lost touch with my artist friend, hence I don't want to mention his name. But someday I may be able to let him know how grateful I am for my lesson in life (and also for his beautiful creation).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:)

-sahar-

Lindsay Lamar said...

I love you too Tara! I'm still in awe of you!