Tuesday, December 13, 2005

More details on commercial shoot

Hey everyone! I added the previous entry about being in a commercial shoot while I was actually on set, just because I found this highly amusing :) But I wanted to give a few more details:

First of all, my friend Wayne, who works for TFYP (a local theatre company), was commissioned to find people to be extras in a couple commercials Sprocketheads (Krista's dad's company) was doing. They use the actor John O'Hurley, who played Peterman on Seinfeld, for these spots, and periodically he is flown up to Alaska to do them. So in one morning we were actually filming two different commercials.

There were about 12 extras for the shoot, 10 of whom were very close friends of mine... so our biggest challenge was to stay quiet :) We had a lot of fun. In the first shoot we were in an internet cafe (hence having my laptop to write the previous blog). The life of an extra is not too difficult. When they yelled action, various people moved through the shot, while others just sat and pretended to talk or worked at their computers, that sort of thing, all while the speaking actors do their thing. The second shoot was in a movie theater (we shot at the Bear Tooth), where Peterman is talking on his cell phone, and the rest of us were seated around the theater are becomming very annoyed with him... to the point where we got to throw popcorn at him at the end (he was quite the trooper for this!).

The whole thing only took until lunch time, so it went rather quickly. But they were on a tight schedule anyway, because I think they had two more commercials to shoot that afternoon :)

I don't know who will be seen in the shots, or if we'll all be blury and just perceived as bodies, but it was lots of fun anyway! Anyone who was at the shoot can add comments about anything I forgot, but that was my experience in a day in the life of an extra :)

No comments: