Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Ode to my parents


Today is the anniversary of the first day my parents lived together in their married life (that's the pretty way of saying I missed posting on their actual anniversary yesterday!).

As my parents' wedding anniversary approached, I actually thought quite a lot about how wonderful their relationship is. They've been married for 32 years by my calculations (is that right?), and I was trying to figure out why they lasted and others didn't. Of course, there's no magical formula, and there are a million different factors, but the thing that came to mind was respect. My parents really respect each other and our family. I cannot recall a single time that they called each other names--they've argued, don't get me wrong, but as far as even calling each other stupid, I seriously can't even remember. So even when they were in conflict, they seemed to manage to keep a level of respect that I personally think is key to their marriage surviving.

Both me and my brother are out of the house now. As we left, they replaced each of us with dogs (seriously, it's a little scary how the timing matched up!), and now they're living it up! They just had a three week vacation (much deserved after no vacation last year), and do you know what they did? They went camping! Just the two of them! Well... and the dogs :) You definitely don't go camping together if you don't want to spend time together :)

So here is my ode to my parents. I love them deeply and am amazed by them daily. They love each other and our family very much. Here's to many more blissful (and as least challenging as possible) years of married life together!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to your parents. As my first wedding anniversary approaches, I'm reflecting on the past year. It had its challenges, but you are right about respect. If you love and respect someone, after the dust from the anger storm settles, mutual admiration remains standing and helps keep the communication channels open until the conflict is resolved. That's the relationship we all dream about. Lucky for your parents, they have it.

Love you Lindsay!!!

Amelia Ghofrany said...

Congratulations to your parents! I also agree with you and Shiva about respect. Also trust and honesty are two other important things that I think make relationships work. It can be so ugly when you see couples who don't have respect for one another, especially in public. I've seen it, and it causes the other people present to be in an uncomfortable situation.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Lindsay's Folks!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay gary and Roxy!!! Many many happy returns of the day!

Shane

Schmerin said...

Congrats to Gary & Roxy not just for 33 great years but for raising such a wondeful daughter - her respect for the two of you says a lot about what good people you are!

tahmina, amir & azamat said...

happy anniversary!!!!