Saturday, January 07, 2006

We've made it to Seattle safe!

Well, we've made it to Seattle safe and sound! It was a bit of an adventure in the wee hours of this morning, but Colin and I stayed in great spirits throughout.

Our flight from Anchorage was right on time. When we got to the airport, I had been told that the parking people that had my car would have a desk at the baggage claim... that wasn't the case :) Fortunately, I had a phone number for the parking service. I called, they sent a shuttle, and when we arrived at the parking place, there was my car, safe and sound! And with everything I shipped in it too :)

This is where the adventure begins. We had a map and directions of how to get to the place we were staying the night, but at some point on the highway we missed a crucial exit and ended up all the way in downtown Seattle. But Colin was the hero of the day! He had bought a small GPS device that connected to his laptop, that was able to show us where we were, and then we were able to use Lake Washington as a landmark to then figure out how to get to where we wanted to go. Apart from being a little worried that we wouldn't find it, Colin and I were actually having a really good time. Being in the early morning hours, there was hardly any traffic, so I didn't feel weird slowing down and looking at street signs. And it was fun, because Colin would be like "okay, the road is going to curve left and then right, and then the street we're turning on will come up pretty quick on your right", and it was so!

First leg of the trip accomplished! Our time in Seattle is probably going to be the most crazy of all, as far as navigating, but we've had a pretty good tour of the city now, so we should be fine :)

2 comments:

reed said...

email me [via my blog if you dont have my address] when you get to Minnesota, my aunt is in Bloomington and will be excited to have you in the area.
ciao reed

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good start to your trip. Hope the highway treats you well.